Choosing Between CREP and Continuous CRP

Last week, we discussed the differences between general CRP and Continuous CRP (CCRP). CCRP is a specialized program that targets land deemed to be environmentally sensitive. Unlike general CRP, which relies on a bidding and rating process for enrollment, qualifying CCRP applicants are automatically accepted into the program (assuming there are acres available for enrollment in your state). 

While CCRP is a great choice for those who qualify, there is another option available to certain farmers and landowners: CREP. 

On the surface, CREP (Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program) is very similar to CCRP. There are, however, a few key differences worth noting. 

How CREP Works 

Unlike general CRP and CCRP, CREP operates under an agreement between the USDA and individual state governments. Similar to CCRP, CREP targets environmentally sensitive land. In the case of CREP, those environmental conditions are determined by local, state, and tribal governments, as well as non-governmental organizations.  

If you want to boost your state’s environmental health while receiving fair compensation and cost-share reimbursement, CREP will do just that. Some states offer additional incentives and signing bonuses as well. 

However, CREP is not available in every state. Currently, the following states have CREP available: 

  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Michigan
  • Nebraska
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Dakota
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin

Enrollment is Currently Open for CREP and CCRP 

For those with qualifying land, CREP and CCRP enrollment is officially open from June 3 – August 23rd. For those interested in the Conservation Reserve Program in states like Iowa, CREP is a quality option to consider. Even if you don’t live in a state with CREP, though, you may still qualify for CCRP.

Either way, you will want to act quickly, as enrollment for CREP and CCRP operates on a first-come, first-serve basis. The number of CRP acres available varies from state to state.

Ready to get started? FDCE can help. We specialize in full-service CRP solutions, which means we handle the process for you from start to finish. That includes enrollment advice, seed mix purchasing, planting, herbicide application, documentation, and submitting the necessary reports to both FSA and the contract holders.

Best of all, most of our services are covered under CRP’s cost-share reimbursement. With FDCE, enrolling in CRP couldn’t be simpler. Contact us today.